Have a non-smart led TV and want to convert it to a smart TV at minimal to no extra cost? Read along
First let’s understand difference between smart TV and non- smart TV. Simply put, non-smart TVs are the ones that can only show broadcasted content. What this means is that non-smart TVs can only show content (TV shows, movies, news etc.) using satellite dish or local cable.
Smart TVs on the other hand have ability to connect to the internet. And hence in addition to cable/dish content can also show content from popular apps like Netflix, Hot Star, Amazon Prime, etc.
Your non-smart TV is perfect for showing broadcasted content, but, yeh dil mange more. So how do you convert your non-smart TV into a smart one? Simple, there are three ways:
Connect Laptop to TV
If you already have a laptop this is the cheapest and the easiest way to make your TV smart. Before smart TVs became famous I used to do exactly this.
By connect laptop to TV, you make your TV display whatever your laptop is showing.
Use HDMI cable to connect laptop to your TV. If you have never heard of HDMI cable don’t worry, you probably have it in your house already. HDMI cable looks like this
Most probably your set top box is connected to your TV using HDMI cable, check it. If you don’t have a HDMI cable you can buy it from Amazon here. Once you get it just:
- Connect one end of HDMI cable to laptop
- Connect other end to your TV
- Get your TV’s remote and press input button.
- Select HDMI as input option on your TV.
That’s it now your TV and laptop are connected, play YouTube, Netfilx etc. on your laptop and enjoy it on you big screen TV.
Use Google Chromecast
If you don’t have a laptop or don’t want to go through the hassle of connecting TV and laptop with wire then you can cast/mirror your mobile screen on your big screen TV with Google Chromecast.
Screen casting or screen mirroring means that whatever you see on your mobile phone is shown on your TV.
So you can play YouTube, Netflix, etc. videos on your mobile and watch them on your big screen TV, without any wire connection between mobile & TV. SWEET!
This is how to use chromecast:
- Connect the chromecast to your TV at HDMI port.
- Connect power cable to chromecast.
- Make sure your mobile and chromecast are connected to WiFi.
- On your mobile phone download Google Home App.
- Open App and set up Chromecast.
- Cast your mobile screen/ laptop screen on TV and enjoy.
The problem with first two methods of converting non-smart TV to smart TV is that you need a committed laptop or mobile to do it.
If you don’t want to keep either your phone or your laptop engaged and still want to make your non-smart TV smart then you should definitely go for…
Amazon Fire TV Stick is the best and the easiest way to smarten up your TV. All you need is a reliable Wi Fi connection. Here’s how to set up Amazon Fire TV Stick:
- Connect power cable to Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Then connect Amazon Fire TV Stick to TV at its HDMI port.
- Grab your TV’s remote, press input button and select the HDMI port where Fire TV Stick is connected.
- Now grab Fire TV Stick’s remote and press home button.
- Select language, select Wi Fi network enter password and connect it to your Wi Fi.
- Then sign in using your Amazon account.
That’s it you are done. Now you can download Apps like Netflix, Hot Star, etc. and enjoy all the content on your big screen.
Another great thing about Amazon Fire TV Stick is that it comes with a remote which can take voice commands. Just press the voice button and say things like ‘show me Romantic Comedies’ and it’ll show you. What this means is that your TV has really turned smart.
On Amazon Fire TV Stick you can create multiple user profiles and it also comes with a parental control, so you don’t have to worry about your kid ‘accidently’ watching Game of Thrones.
The best thing about Amazon Fire TV Stick is its price. It can turn your TV into a smart one with less than 5,000 Rs.
So its your turn now. Which method are you going to use? Do let me know in the comment section & if you face any issues just drop a comment below and i'll get back to you in 24 hours.